At TRUE, we are focused on putting our valued customers first. In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, we understand safety and sanitation are of the utmost concern for your gym or facility.
Today we are sharing approved cleaning products and best practices for your TRUE Fitness cardio and strength equipment. Please note, there is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting your equipment.
According to the CDC:
- Cleaning refers to the removal of germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces. Cleaning does not kill germs, but by removing them, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.
- Disinfecting refers to using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces. This process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs, but by killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection.
TRUE Fitness recommends the following to clean and disinfect your equipment:
First, wash surfaces on the machine to remove germs. Apply the cleaner to a clean cloth and use to wipe down equipment. Avoid spraying any cleaner directly onto equipment to prevent entering openings and causing corrosion or damage to electrical components.
Recommended and approved cleaners:
- Cardio and Strength Equipment: 30 parts water to 1 part mild detergent (Dawn or similar dish soap).
- Consoles: 1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol to 1 part water. Dampen a soft cloth and wipe the surface of the console.
Recommended and approved disinfectants after thoroughly wiping cleaner off machine:
- Cardio and Strength Equipment: Gym Wipes™ Antibacterial Wipes
- Upholstery: Solution of 5-10% household bleach diluted with water may be used as well. Be sure to test an inconspicuous area first. DO NOT use chemical cleaners on the upholstery.
Use only approved cleaners and dilute properly. Using other solutions or incorrect dilutions may result in corrosion and/or damage to your equipment including dulling of finish. Disinfectant products may require remaining on the surface for a certain period of time (i.e. 3-5 minutes) but be sure to wipe off after this period of time to ensure it does not corrode or damage product. Never use Windex®, glass cleaners, ammonia, alcohol, petrol, or chemical products on plexiglass weight stack guards. Never use solvents such as lacquer thinner, mineral spirits or acetone on painted products.
- Provide Gym Wipes™ or cleaning solution throughout your facility. As a precaution, equipment should be wiped down before and after each use. Benches, mats, dumbbells, medicine balls, and fitness accessories should always be wiped down after use too.
- Depending on the frequency of use, staff should wipe down all equipment at least once or twice per day.
- It may be necessary to use multiple wipes to keep the surface wet for required length of time for proper disinfecting.
- Remind employees to regularly wash their hands with soap and water. The CDC recommends scrubbing hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Post reminders on cleanliness best practices for employees and guests.
- Use proper protective clothing while cleaning (i.e. gloves or masks) as recommended by manufacturer.
For up to date information on prevention and community resources, please refer to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Download the recommendations here.